Oregon - Hazelnut Trail Mix




Oregon is the largest producer of Hazelnuts (aka Filberts) in the United States contributing 98% of domestic supply - I had no idea!  


I've never been to Oregon, but if you were to play a round of word association with me, Oregon Trail would be the first thing I would say when asked about the state.  I guess that's a result of being a child of the 80's and loving the computer game, The Oregon Trail.  


In my research, I found a recipe from the Oregon Hazelnut Commission that would allow me to combine Hazelnuts and The Oregon Trail - Oregon Hazelnut Trail Mix! 









ingredients
6 cups Kix cereal
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped or whole, roasted Oregon hazelnuts
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup banana chips
1 small cook and serve (not instant) vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter 


recipe

  • mix cereal, nuts, raisins and banana chips together
  • in saucepan, combine vanilla pudding mix and honey; bring to a boil and boil 30 seconds
  • remove from heat
  • stir in peanut butter, mix well
  • pour over cereal mix and mix until coated
  • put on cookie sheet to cool 



The vanilla pudding gives this sweet trail mix a neat flavor and makes it a fun new treat for lunch boxes, parties and of course, hiking the trails! 


Enjoy! 
mbf 

No comments:

Post a Comment